Thursday, November 4, 2010

In A Locket

In a locket around my neck
I lay my father to rest.
Hanging always over my heart
he will never be forgot.
Ashes to ashes; dust to dust
going on, the living must.
A grown woman regressed
A little girl repressed
A daughter depressed, I find.
A time to mend, a time to heal,
it's the time robbed, I mind.
Mourning and grief
sadness, relief.
Guilt and no guilt
the anger builds
The tension spills then the tears.
No more years
to bond to grow.
All the things you'll never know.
Everything I've ever said
bubbles to my head
Eerything I wanted to say
dies silently with the day.
Day by day I'm fine I find
Strong of will, hard of mind.
Head on task, composure clear,
it's the evenings alone I fear.
To you I wander, I grasp, I gasp
to know what I know and what has passed.
I cry and weep and pray for sleep
and still the evening taunts and laughs
and memory bad and good take hold
But I'm not ready to face the gap.
I bend. I break. I re-shape:
a stonger me to take my place.
Seconds, minutes, days and weeks
hope returns and misery retreats.
My happiness will make you proud
even when you're not around.
I celebrate the time we had-
the time we'll share again-
every time I crack a smile
or laugh with a friend.
In a locket around my chest
all that is after my father's death.
Ashes to ashes; dust to dust
going on, the living must.

No comments:

Post a Comment