Friday, April 15, 2011

Family Donor Ceremony

When my father passed away, he was an organ donor and parts of his eyes actually went to someone in need. This weekend, the Donor Network of Arizona sponsored an event for donor families, so my brother and I drove to Phoenix participate in this ceremony. The event took place Sunday afternoon in the chapel at St. Joseph's Hospital.

It was a very lovely ceremony that helped grieving families feel pride for their loved ones donations. At the end, each family was invited up to share a story about their loved one that represented the Donor Network's philanthropic philosophy. Most families were too heartbroken to speak much or what they said was difficult to hear and understand. when my family was called up, I walked up proudly with my brother, sister and my dad's parents. We stood at the front of the room and I spoke loudly to the crowd so that everyone could hear just what I thought of my father. I shared a story that my cousin shared with me. I can't verify the validity of such a claim, but it sounds plausible and sums up my daddy immensely.


I told the crowd that my father was a kind, generous, caring man who's patience knew no bounds. He taught his children to never judge, but walk a mile in the others' shoes to understand and appreciate our differences. He was a poor man. a pauper who lived in squalor, but that didn't mean much to him at all for he valued life most of all. He was always asking for rides to the grocery store and on one occasion, he borrowed money for groceries. On his way out of the store there was a homeless man begging, so my dad gave the rest of the change to him. When confronted about this, he simply responded: You didn't need the money, so you gave it to me. I used what I needed and gave the rest to him.


I boldly spoke to the red-rimmed eyes and tear-stained cheeks staring at me that My father celebrated his 49th birthday in September and was prompted to get a new AZ driver's license. This time, he checked off the little box at the bottom asking if you wish to be an organ donor. Exactly 1 month later he was tragically ripped from our lives. But that box he checked helped another person out there to regain the gift of sight. I can only hope this lucky individual can see the world the way my father uniquely did.


My sister ended our boast with words my daddy spoke often, especially when distance separated him from you. "Are you smiling? I can't hear you smiling? Oh come on, that's not nearly big enough." He would poke and prod with his corny farewell until, eventually, you were definitely smiling. To which he would reply: "Smile, it looks good on you."

On our way to the reception, my family was stopped several times by other families and Donor Network coordinators who thought our story was the most lovely recollection they heard and it made their hearts swell.

If interested in Donation and you live in Arizona, please visit this website: 


1 comment: