Wednesday, January 26, 2011

One Sweet MoFo

"In Soviet Russia, Cakes Cup You"

My cupcake take on the White Russian, my favorite mix drink! The hazelnut-y goodness of the Kahlua mixed with the bite of vodka in a moist, tasty little cake and super sweet Kahlua icing.  Yum!!

I was lucky enough to have my loving husband as my assistant this round. It was great because he has even less cupcakery experience then I do, so I was able to be a know-it-all and he didn't know any better!


I had him do all the grunt work and I was able to focus on the fun stuff. Like licking the bowl and watching the timer. Sometimes it's better if I only do the little things. 


Had to experiment with the bake time since we were cooking with alcohol and making mini cupcakes. Turns out 10 minutes at the front of the oven made them light and fluffy. Couldn't figure out what combination made them stop sticking to the paper cups though.


The recipe makes 24 large cupcakes. Or about 150 mini cupcakes. I took a couple dozen to work and my customers loved them. I got so many compliments and the guys wanted to know where I bought them. Of course, unusual flavors make it easier to pass off any mistakes as the result of an interesting combination.


FROSTED. The Kahlua made the whole kitchen smell super sweet. Also, I'm getting better at my frosting technique and even started to work on a new swirl. You can kind of see both variations here.


Without further ado....the recipe. Let's start with the ingredients:


White Russian Cupcake
1 1/2 sticks of butter
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vodka
1/4 cup Kahlua

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the milk (I used 1%), vodka (I used UV Vodka), and Kahlua.
4. Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl then add the eggs in one at a time. Add vanilla to the mix. 5. 5. Now add part of the flour mix to the mixing bowl and beat. Then add part of the milk mixture and combine. Alternate the milk and flour into the mix. DO NOT OVER-MIX.
6. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full of batter. Bake mini cupcakes for 10 minutes. Bake full-sized cupcakes for 20 minutes. Make sure toothpick comes out clean when checking the batter and the cupcake sponges back when touched.

Kahlua Buttercream Frosting
1 stick butter
4-5 cups powdered sugar
3-4 shots Kahlua

1. Cream the butter then alternately add the powdered sugar and Kahlua to your taste preference.
2. Frost or pipe the cupcakes when cool.


Here's a preview of the next batch:


Happy Cup-Caking!

No comments:

Post a Comment