Friday, February 3, 2012

Sophie & Carter by Chelsea Fine


So I was browsing Amazon's selection of books recommended for me based on my purchases and ratings. I spun down a veritable rabbit hole of "Those who purchased THIS also purchased THESE" selections and wound up at Anew: The Archers of Avalon (Book One) by Chelsea Fine. The description sounded tantalizing, but I wanted to know more so I did something I rarely do-I scrolled down to see the reader reviews. Ironic, I know, that I should review books for others but typically hate reading others reviews. It's just that, nobody ever seems to get it right. And they are always so contradicting. Several people can LOVE a book that others absolutely HATE. In the end, I might as well skip the reviews, read the damn book and judge it for myself. 

Lucky for you, I'm here with the final call on what you should (and shouldn't) read. 

Sophie & Carter is a  MUST-READ. 

So, while there weren't any reviews on the new book, the consensus was clear on Chelsea Fine's debut. Readers raved about the raw, intense, binding friendship and love that evolves between Sophie and Carter. Next-door neighbors with less-than-perfect (understatement of the year) family lives that build a friendship based on trust and understanding. As they grow closer to graduation, they grow closer to each other. However, no paperback copies existed on my beloved Amazon or at BN.com. 

What was a girl to do?

I promptly downloaded Kindle for PC and bought the $2.99 e-book. It was a little pricey for 117 pages of story, but those pages captured such emotions, the book felt like it was bursting at the seams. Metaphorically, of course. It was a great, albeit short, beginning, middle and end. Everything goes as it's supposed to. Narration switches between Sophie and Carter as each chapter mirrors the next in a range of stories, emotions and struggles. Although there was enough content to satisfy, I desperately want more of these characters and really hope there's a follow up novel on the next chapter of their lives. 

My ONLY pet peeve? RHETORICAL. Not redundant. If you read the book, you'll see this glaring anomaly of nonsense. Seriously beautiful writing, but please choose the correct word or it messes up the whole flow of your sentence. It breaks my concentration when I am forced to re-read, then mentally correct your ridiculous mistake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment