Saturday, December 4, 2010

My Mother-Chatty Kathy

My mother loves to talk. I'd say it's because she loves the sound of her own voice, but she's deaf. So I really don't understand why she never shuts up. And she talks to everyone, I mean, EVERYONE.

We're in line at Kohl's yesterday and I'm internally debating if I want this sweater in black and grey, or white, so I ask my mom her opinion. She rolls her eyes in the most dramatic way possible before commenting-not to me- but the lady unlucky enough to stand behind us in line.

"Do you believe this?' She asks rhetorically. "My daughter, a grown woman, needs her momma to make up her mind for her." The lady politely laughs while I stare straight ahead hoping for this to be a quick one. No such luck. I point out to my mom that she still hadn't answered my question.

 "What color should I get?" I ask again.

My mother jests, "Why not one in both colors, they are on sale."

"Well..." I start to say, but my mom has already begun to bother the nice lady behind us again with an amusing, albeit, humiliating anecdote about your truly.

"She does this everywhere we go. She stood in front of the mirror in the dressing room for 10 minutes thinking if she had the right shoes, pants, and accessories to go with the sweater."

"Mom."

"What? I'm sure she goes through the same thing with her daughter."

I look at the lady, smartly remaining silent, and the stroller she is pushing around. "Mom, she has little kids. They aren't old enough to pick out sweaters."

"Well, then, she is going to go through this same thing one day and I'm just preparing her." Great, now we're talking about the nice lady as if she weren't there within ear shot. I turn and give her an apologetic smile. My mother sees this. "Oh now she's embarrassed by me." She tells the lady.

"I'm not embarrassed, I just don't think she cares, mom."

There's no stopping this train, my mom plunges ahead into another tale addressing the poor lady behind us. "My other daughter is worse. She never wants to be seen with me, but still wants me to shop with her all the time. You think your kids will leave you when they grow up, but mine just got clingy."

We finally check out and my mom has spent more time conversing with this stranger, than with me. And yes, I was forced to decide the sweater color all on my own. I chose black and grey, it was slimming and goes with my boots.

CHATTY KATHY STRIKES AGAIN!!

Got mani/pedi's this morning. My mom got her toes polished red with a white snowflakes design. She comes over to me during my mani to show off her toes. Then proceeds to walk around the salon showing the other patrons and sticking her newly pedicured feet on their laps and in their faces for a better look. After the salon, we stopped at the grocery store and mom started up another conversation with the checkout clerk.

I am telling you, it is not normal to be this friendly and outgoing.

No comments:

Post a Comment