Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Merry Christmas 2010

I hope everyone enjoyed this holiday season. It isn't quite over (only 3 more days until New Year's Eve) but I thought I would share what a wonderful Christmas weekend I had. Cashed in some of my vacation time and took a 5 day trip to Phoenix with Bryce to see family. It was a busy weekend with every minute spent with family. 

The view of Vegas behind us

Had to drive through the clouds in front of us

Thursday I was able to see a friend for a little bit in the afternoon as soon as we drove in. I hadn't seen her in almost 2 months, so I enjoyed our visit. I met up with my siblings at my mom's house then we left to go light candles at my dad's memorial cross. Later, we drove to my uncle's house where we visited with my cousin, Seth, and his very pregnant wife (she's due in less than 2 weeks). 

Memorial cross at 43rd and Indian School. My sister put up ornaments and my brother lit Christmas candles.

Friday morning, Christmas Eve, my siblings and I spent time in my father's trailer for the first time since his passing. It was difficult, but we drew strength from each other and held on to his memory. We then went back home and set up my mom's surprise Christmas present while she was gone helping my grandma prepare for the family Christmas Eve dinner that night. Our surprise: a new queen-sized pillow top mattress, box spring, and comforter set with King sized pillows was a pain in the butt to set up. My mom had a full size mattress that was too small for her frame; however, when we brought in the upgraded queen size, the damn thing was too big! So we dismantled the frame and vow to think of something to do for a frame later. Then we put on the sheets from her previous mattress which she just bought a month ago and swore to us were queen size (because she anticipated buying her own new mattress after the holidays), but were, in fact, also only full size sheets. Therefore, she wound up with a mattress on the floor with only a comforter. 

After the great Mattress Surprise Debacle of 2010, we dressed in our ugly sweaters for the First Annual Ugly Christmas Sweater Family Tradition (which we planned months before it became this year's trend) and headed off to grandma's house where the whole extended family got together as we do every Christmas Eve.

Yes, that is Slimer from Ghostbuster's. And what the picture doesn't capture is my brother's red suit jacket is lined with a strand of flashing Christmas lights.

Christmas morning came all too soon and my husband and I were abruptly woken up by his sister who ran in the room shouting and smacking us with a wrapping paper roll. She is 21. Bryce and I spent a lovely day relaxing with his parents and sister before driving to his cousin's new abode (they moved in only 4 days before hosting the party) where we met up with the rest of his extended family for Christmas dinner. After dinner was the the family's traditional white elephant gift exchange of "naughty" and "nice" gifts. It was a hoot to see all the wild things everyone gifts and we just had fun with the whole thing before snagging a gum-ball machine, voice recorder, and statue of David. 

Woke up at the butt-crack of dawn Sunday morning to meet up with my sister for the day-after-Christmas shopping extravaganza. We hit up 3 Wal-Marts, 2 Kohl's and 1 Target before heading home to nap. Woke up in time to make food and be late to our last family gathering of the weekend at my uncle's house to celebrate with my paternal family. We devoured ribs and the most succulent tri-tip and instead of exchanging gifts, had ourselves a massive pool tournament. 

Ashlee made it to the semi-finals with an assist from baby Peydon Bentley

The weekend finally came to a close and Monday allowed us to sleep in. We packed up our car with all the new loot, ate lunch, and drove home to Vegas. 

Thanks to everyone for a fantastic weekend. I loved all the gifts I received but I loved spending time with everyone even more. I wish I had time to visit all the friends on my list, but that will just have to wait until next time. 

Now, without further ado, the loot:

Presents under the tree at Grandma's. What you don't see is they also cover most of the room, under the tables, and into the kitchen. 

A beautiful gift from my sister: a mosaic photo of me and Bryce 

Voice recorder and micro cassette tapes so I can hear the sound of my own voice

Hollowed-out Paris book and statue of David for my extremely kitsch living room

Gum-ball machine speaks for itself

Borders gift card got me these awesome YA titles

Very thoughtful gift from my grandma: photo of me and my father on my wedding day as the backdrop to my original poem, In A Locket

Items not featured: Keurig from Bryce's parents, a fire pit from my family, clothes, various gift cards, wooden reindeer set built by my papa, bathroom set from my mom and sister, and other presents. 




No comments:

Post a Comment